You Have Mail (At The Wrong Address!)

" I realised that I hadn't arranged for our mail (all my fan club letters - well, at least I can dream!) to be re-directed to our new address...Strangely the pet bird didn't get a letter. Mind you, he would have probably just eaten it!!"

Recently we uplifted the family and moved to a new property literally 100 metres away from where we where living. Even though it was such a short distance move it took about 2.5 days to complete! It probably was longer than it should have been as No Worries was intent on leaving some of the packing to the last possible moment. Actually 'last possible moment' is probably a better nickname for her!

So it became a very time consuming and tiring operation moving everything!

Two days after the official move I realised that I hadn't arranged for our mail (all my fan club letters - well, at least I can dream!) to be re-directed to our new address. So I traipsed off to my local Australia Post to arrange for this to happen.

Now to the uninitiated, Australia Post is streets ahead of the Royal Mail. For starters Australia Post makes a healthy profit every year, as well as all of the myriad of services and products that they offer. You can even add a picture of yourself to a stamp if you want to personalise it.

I went in and explained the situation. The shop assistant (and not Postman Pat - aka Kochie to the Aussies) advised me that it would take three business days to redirect the mail. That was okay, I thought, as I could still access my old letter box for those three days.

So after a few days my mail started arriving at our new address. Alas, no fan mail either! Then I decided to check my old letterbox one last time. Now a family had moved into our old abode so I was relying on the letterbox being open which, thankfully, it was. Inside the letter box were letters addressed to myself, No Worries and the gals. The funny thing was on the envelope it actually stated "do not re-direct this letter" and it was from, you guessed it, Australia Post.

The letter stated that it was confirming that I wanted my mail redirected to a new address. Now call me slow, but why would you want to send a letter to my old address at least a week and a half after I have moved? To me it does not make sense. Also, why would you want to send the same letter to all of us individually including our young daughters? Strangely the pet bird didn't get a letter. Mind you, he would have probably just eaten it!!

Even now it puzzles me why you would send a letter to an old address if you have already moved? Maybe Australia Post has a "Department of Silly Ideas" and one of their boffins came up with the idea over a hot cup of cocoa. I can imagine this anorak wearing boffin saying:

"I know, why don't we send a letter to a customers old address after they have left that property? That way we can be doubly sure that they want the mail redirected!"

And before you can say "can I have a 55c stamp please" it is set up as a procedure!

So, my fellow Australians, be very wary if you re-direct your mail. Remember the boffins!!





Comments

Anonymous said…
Good fill someone in on and this mail helped me alot in my college assignement. Say thank you you as your information.

Popular posts from this blog

Back in 5 Minutes

Stalking by Bluetooth

1,000 hits and more to come!