More Valuable Than Gold

Saturday morning and a military style operation is about to kick into gear.  The alarm goes of at 06.45am.  The sky is getting lighter as day time wins its regular battle against night time.  In 12 hours time the victory will be reversed.

There's a stirring in the bedroom as a zombie like person rises from another fitful sleep. Following a quick visit to the bathroom the zombie has metamorphosed into a human.  That human is me.

Time is ticking away, the deadline time of 07.00am will not be achieved.  I need to quickly change.  Within a minute I am dressed and ready for action.  A last minute decision to leave the flak jacket at home turns out to be a good decision.  I remember that these are strange times indeed.

I set off at a fairly quickish pace.  The early morning dog walkers are out in their leggings and shorts and looking quite sporty.  However, the takeaway cup of coffee is a sign that the apparel is for show only.  I turn a corner and am nearly flattened by an early morning running group.  Approximately 40 runners bunched together are doing their regular weekend run.  The fittest are at the front and the hangers-on at the back.  Two thoughts come to mind - I wonder if the ones at the back of the pack will soon quit and head to a cafe?  The other thought - whatever happened to social distancing?

Anyway, my thoughts turn back to my goal.  I must maintain my focus.  I check my watch, and realise I am not wearing one.  My phone says I am already 5 minutes late!  Time to step up the pace.

As I near, I can see others have succeeded with their own military operations.  One middle-aged male has a manic smile, or is it a grimace?  Either way, he is happy with the outcome.  Soon, I see another two maniacal looking humans.  Have I timed my operation too late?  Should I have read up on Churchill's wartime memoirs?  Whatever the case, I am nearing my destination.  It is all or nothing.  Success or fail, an outcome will be achieved.

I enter a small building and can see the security guard at the entrance to my destination.  I decide to lower my gaze.  Even though I am sure if we had a staring contest I would win, I do not want to make contact and want to remain nondescript.

I am now inside. I survey my surroundings.  Things look calm and sedate.  What is going on?  I expected chaos, anarchy and at least one Ramones T shirt on view.  I head downstairs.  As the escalator takes me to my goal I can see there are others with the same thoughts as myself.  A father and daughter split up to undertake the classic '2 for 1 manoeuvre'.

Now there is a woman, dressed for the gym, starting to panic.  She runs down the escalator, not wanting to miss out.  I can see my personal nirvana just ahead of me.  Already I know that my operation will be an astounding success.  I take a casual approach as I make my way to a part of the floor where humans are gathering.  It reminds me of bees around a hive.  I can see there is plenty of stock available.

I grab one pack and then head to another part of the floor to grab 3 other items that are required.  Within 5 minutes the operation is over and I am heading home.  A feeling of achievement starts to overcome myself.  I start to feel elated!  This is short-lived as I see a group of women heading my way.  They are chatting enthusiastically about something.  Not sure if it is about a recent 'Neighbours' episode, or the latest Autumn styles out now.  

Whatever it is, I feel like a social pariah as clearly they can see what I am carrying.  I get an evil stare from one of the women.  Oh no, I think.  They must assume I am one of those 'preppers'.  I pass them looking at  the ground and not wanting eye contact.  I am now four minutes from the safety of my home.

In the distance is another group of women who are approaching me.  It is clear that they can see what I am holding.  I look away before we pass as I do not want to feel awkward again.  However, this time it is different.  One of the women offers a chirpy 'good morning!'.  This takes me off-guard and my voice does not react to the command from my brain. 

Finally I am home.  I put my rewards on the kitchen bench.  All in all, the operation took just over 30 minutes. I stare at the main item that currently seems to be more valuable than gold.  However, all I see is a pack of toilet rolls!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Back in 5 Minutes

1,000 hits and more to come!

Stalking by Bluetooth