Bye Bye Facebook!

Recently I made a decision.  To some it might seem like a monumental decision.  To me it was a simple decision.  Actually, it was a very easy thing for me to do. What is this decision I made? Why did I make it?  Read on dear listener and I will reveal all!


After 5 years I am deactivating my Facebook account. There I have said it.  It is in black and white, and as a reader you can judge me on this decision.  Actually, I stopped using Facebook a week ago, but re-activated it so I can post a link to this blog and let all my friends know why I am no longer going to be a Facebook user.


I first started using Facebook back in 2007 and was impressed with how you could connect with your friends, share photos and create groups.  In the early days there were groups that you could chat in, which was lots of fun.  This didn't last too long, however.


Over the years there have been many changes.  The format seems to change regularly, and its latest re-creation reminds me more of a My Space page than a Facebook one.  Over the last few years there have been a plethora of apps for games like Farmville and many other similar ones.  I received many invites to join these games, and declined every one of them.  If I wanted to play games I would use other means, like Wii.


However, I have become exceedingly bored with Facebook.  It was starting to become a chore to log on via my phone or laptop and see what everyone was up to.  As well as this my posts were becoming boring too.  Quite often I would type a post like "it's raining today" or "I am hungry and need food now".  I was posting very banal things which is not what I am really about.  In addition, the Big Brother approach that has been adopted by Facebook and the privacy rule changes certainly didn't sit well with me.


Finally, after a few weeks deliberation I made the decision to not use Facebook any more.  To me the inter-activeness of Twitter is far more appealing.   True, I will miss my friends' photos of themselves, their holiday and life experiences, but I know deep down I would rather spend time with them rather than looking at their pics over a social media platform.  I feel that I have evolved and Facebook is not a part of my life anymore.


So what does the future hold? Well I am going to send a last post on my Facebook account advising my friends of my decision with a link to this blog.  After a month or so I will permanently delete my account.  Rest assured after posting this blog I will not be viewing or posting anything else.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Back in 5 Minutes

1,000 hits and more to come!

Stalking by Bluetooth