Who Pulled The Plug???

"I rubbed my eyes (not sure why, but it felt good anyway) and re-checked. The computer still showed that the dam levels had fallen...My first thought was that a giant bird had paused over our main dam (Warragamba Dam for all you anoraks out there) and taken a huge gulp of our water!"

One of the things I do on a regular basis is to check the water level of the dams that supply Sydney with it's drinking water. Now I don't drive out to all the dams with a dip stick and measure it that way, but I do go to the relevant State Government website to see how full our dams are. It's a cheaper and more effective way of getting the information. Also, I would need a large dipstick to effectively measure the water levels of the dams!

I have no idea why I have an infatuation with dam levels. Maybe it was because I used to collect stamps when I was a youngster, and have been known to occasionally sing in the shower. Alternatively it could be that the publicity given to the level of Sydney's water supplies is now more in the news than ever before.

In the past few weeks Sydney has experienced a lot of rain. So much, in fact, that I have started to develop webbed feet! Having stated this I should point out that the last few days have been rain free. But, the weather guru's have promised more rain for later this week (joy, oh joy). Given the volume and number of times that it has rained recently one would assume that the levels of the dams would have increased dramatically. Well think again.

A couple of weeks ago I went to the website to check the dam levels. It had rained a lot and I was sure that there would have been a big increase in the storage levels. However, when I checked the statistics it was showing that the dam levels had decreased! I was so amazed that I nearly dropped my coffee cup! How was this possible? Surely the reading was wrong. I rubbed my eyes (not sure why, but it felt good anyway) and re-checked. The computer still showed that the dam levels had fallen.

I started to think about this. What could have caused the levels to drop. The temperatures had been cool with the onset of winter upon us, so that was not a factor. I then started to think outside of the square to come up with plausible reasons. My first thought was that a giant bird had paused over our main dam (Warragamba Dam for all you anoraks out there) and taken a huge gulp of our water! I quickly dismissed that idea as it was clearly my mind working overtime on unrealistic scenarios.

Then it dawned on me.

A dam is like a bath. When you put in the plug and fill the bath up the water remains in the tub. However, take the plug out and the water disappears. Therefore it was a no-brainer. Someone had taken the plug out of our major dam and the water was slowly draining away! Why you would want to do this is beyond my comprehension but the logic seems to fit. So we have a culprit in Sydney who is responsible for removing the plug from Warragamba Dam hence the water is disappearing.

So I appeal to you eagle-eyed readers out there in the blogosphere. Be on the lookout for a person (or persons) who own a ridiculously large bath style plug. If you see it then please let me know. One last thing. If you do see it then please advise if the plug has a rubber ducky attached to it via a chain. If you can do that for me then I will be very grateful!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Back in 5 Minutes

1,000 hits and more to come!

Stalking by Bluetooth