All The Fun Of The Fair!

"how fat and big the pigs were. They were huge! All I could think of while looking at them was a years supply of bacon and ham steaks!...I had no idea as to how much grooming these creatures go through. I was expecting to see nail polish and lipstick on them but alas the cows were spared this 'luxury''"


Once a year an event comes to Sydney that generates a lot of excitement for thousands of locals. It's an event that is predominantly geared towards the young of age and also those, like myself, who are young at heart! What is this event? I hear you mutter over your second bowl of muesli.

Well it's not a concert by Miley Cyrus or even a hair styling expo guest starring Zac Efron, but it is the Royal Sydney Easter Show! Note for the anoraks amongst you that the 'Royal' moniker was bestowed on the Easter Show by Queen Victoria in the nineteenth century (about the same time as Cliff Richard was born!).

I personally love the Easter Show. Yes it's expensive, yes the food on offer is crap to put it mildly but you do truly get to experience the mood of the rural parts of Australia and in particular NSW. It's always good fun trying to avoid the horse and cow poo when you are walking around the show.

For my two daughters, its probably second only to Christmas or even a 'Shaun the Sheep' marathon on television! They love the show looking at all the animals and taking in all the sights, sounds and smells of the show. They were very impressed with how fat and big the pigs were. They were huge! All I could think of while looking at them was a years supply of bacon and ham steaks!

The cows were interesting too. Some were built like horses. My oldest daughter told me how a cow is milked as she had done this on a school outing last year. She was speaking as if she was an expert on the matter which was interesting. While we were passing some Hereford's, one of them decided to do a 'number 2'. Both my youngest daughter and myself were amazed at how much excrement was being produced. It's amazing when you think of the the things that stick in your mind!

Seeing some cows being sheared for a parade was fun. I had no idea as to how much grooming these creatures go through. I was expecting to see nail polish and lipstick on them but alas the cows were spared this 'luxury'.

No Worries (aka the wife) also got into the Easter Show spirit by taste testing the hottest chili in the world. It's rated at 14+ which means its damn hot. She really enjoyed it as her face and mouth turned bright red almost instantly!

Certainly the most exciting thing for our daughters were the show bags and the funfair rides. Okay, I admit it. I may be older than 21 but I also love the show bags. Naturally I ended up with a large Cadbury's chocolate show bag. The girls settled for a Tinkerbell and Princess show bag.

Following the excitement of the Show bag pavilion, we made our way to the funfair part of the show. As the girls are quite young we thought that the kids rides would suit them. By and large they did. However, there was one ride where you sit in a car and then it proceeds to go extremely fast forwards, then backwards and then forwards again. The speed of the ride was very quick indeed. I thought the girls would either get scared because of the speed, or feel a bit sick afterwards.

I needn't had worried as the 'fearless two' thoroughly enjoyed the ride and wanted to go on it again. Unfortunately for them the request was denied. They then found an equally daring ride to go on and quickly forgot their request for a repeat ride.

Following this we then left the show and made our way home having had a great day at the Royal Sydney Easter Show.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Back in 5 Minutes

1,000 hits and more to come!

Stalking by Bluetooth